I like shopping, you know, the way I like breathing. It’s one of my favourite activities. I like it the way I liked the New Kids on the Block when I was 10 – I went to sleep cuddling my stereo while the boys crooned to me. I like it. A lot.
Here are some of the things I like about it:
1. I have this incredible ability to tune out everything that’s going on around me and browse until I find things that I love. It’s relaxing.
2. I honestly think that when I grab the handles of a carrier bag full of new stuff my brain drowns in a wave of endorphins.
3. I like pretty new things.
4. Shopping makes for great people watching.
5. I love, love, love hanging up new clothes in my closet.
I’ve committed to a shopping ban for the entire month of January. I have to follow through because I’ve said that I’m doing this outloud – to people. I’ve also committed to an alcohol free month. January is going to be so great.
There’s been a lot of change in my life over the last couple of years. I’ve changed jobs a few times, moved twice, gone back to school, and now I’m trying to make a go of it in Vancouver. I feel almost at a bit of a crossroads: I’m about to turn 100 33 (ack!!), and I haven’t got a job, a car, or a home of my own. This is not exactly what I had envisioned for myself. However, in spite of all that I’m the happiest I’ve been in a long time. City life agrees with me.
In the spirit of positive thinking I’m working on a few New Years resolutions in the hopes that 2013 will be the year that things finally start to come together for me!
1. Buy fewer clothes, shoes, and accessories and appreciate what I’ve already got.
2. Buy less make-up and use up my huge collection!
3. Spend more time with my friends.
4. Read more good books and watch less tv. Any suggestions?
5. Find a job that I love but don’t get discouraged if it takes a while!
Happy Thursday friends! I hope you are all having a stellar week!
I do love Christmas but I don’t usually get too into the spirit until a few days before the big day itself. This year, however, there’s already a pint-sized Christmas tree in my apartment, and I’m endlessly humming Christmas tunes! It’s funny because, for the first time in a long time, I won’t be spending the holidays with my family this year.
Anyway, I’ve got a few fêtes to attend over the next few weeks, and I’m daydreaming about new outfits to wear. Here are a few of the items on my holiday soirée wish list.
I am now happily ensconced in my new city (hello Vancouver), and have been exploring non stop.
Yesterday I attended my first warehouse sale. What an experience! Great clothes at 70% off retail. What’s a shopaholic to do? I waited in line for about half an hour before getting in. I checked my purse, and PURE MADNESS. Girls running from rack to rack grabbing whatever they could carry in their size. I attempted to be practical, and go from rack to rack looking at everything. I quickly got caught up in the frenzy though, and abandoned my sensible plan.
I emerged after about an hour, sweaty, dishevelled, and the owner of a few new great pieces.