Insomnia is terrible. I have been an insomniac for as long as I can remember and I probably always will be. It sucks. It sucks a lot. Sometimes, in spite of practicing good sleep hygiene, meditation, warm baths, tea and medication, a night is still bad. It happens. It’s the worst. Sleepless nights happen to most of us now and then.
Here are my top tips for getting through a tired day when you can’t go back to bed.
- Call in sick. Ok, this isn’t really a tip but if you can, use a sick day. That’s what they’re there for. Exhaustion is no less valid a reason to stay home than a cold. It’s not always possible to take a sickie, so the rest of the tips are for those days you just can’t stay home!
- Do not drink excessive caffeine, it will just make you feel worse in the long run! Instead, after having your normal amount of coffee have a hot herbal or green tea.
- Drink lots of water. It will keep you hydrated.
- Keep moving. Get up from your desk at least once every hour or so and do a lap around the office.
- Get outside! Take a quick walk around the block. The fresh air will invigorate you.
- Avoid junk food. I don’t know about you, but when I’m tired I just want to eat all of the fries. However, junk won’t give you sustained energy. Reach for healthy foods to avoid the junk food crash.
- Grab a power nap on your lunch break. Sneak into an empty office or boardroom if you can and try to close your eyes for 15 minutes. It helps!
- Focus on simple tasks. A tired day is not the day to tackle a big report or start a new project.
Those are my top tips for making it through a tired day. Have I missed any?
Photo via Pexels